Saturday, November 15, 2008

CZ 52

Just got my C&R license a few days ago so had to jump into the fray with my first C&R pistol. I ordered the CZ from SouthernOhioGun.com and was very pleased with their service and speed. I got it and 32 rounds of ammo for practice for just over $140. When it arrived, I was wondering if I had a good deal or not. It was not very pretty, had some scuff marks on it and generally looked like a pawn shop reject. I cleaned it up just a bit and went down to the local indoor gun range and gave it a workout (well, as much as a workout as 32 rounds could give it). The first magazine full (8 rounds) were not bad hits at 7 yards, but probably could have been better if I wasn't squinting and holding it well away from any vital organs as I fired it for the first time. Let me tell you, I am most impressed. I know the round is not extremely well suited for personal protection as the round will certainly over-penetrate and could cause some collateral damage, but as far as accuracy and reliability goes, it worked wonderfully well for a 5o year old pistol. There are some spare parts that are recommended that I will acquire, but at the price paid, it would behoove the purchaser to just get 2 so you not only have a spare for all the parts with your parts kit, but you have a spare firearm as well.

1 comment:

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

If you're interested in effective self-defense ammo for the Cz-52, you might want to check out some of the offerings at Reed's Ammunition and Research.

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I got a box of the 60 grn Hornady XTPs that I'm eager to check out.

I'm also chomping at the bit for him to get the .22 Reed Express barrels for the Cz back in stock--that sounds like a hot little round.